Preparing the Surface
- Apply Redguard for waterproofing and to protect against cracks, depending on the type of tile installation you are completing.
3/16" - 1/4" V notch - used for mosaic tiles & wall tile up to 4.5"
1/4" x 1/4" U or Square notch - for tile 4"-8"
1/4" x 3/8" U or Square notch - for tile 8"-16"
1/2" x 1/2" U or Square notch - for tile 16" or larger
- Check for complete coverage of thin-set mortar by pulling up one tile: it should cover at least 80% of the back of the tile.
- Clean out as much mortar from grout joints as you can.
- Prevent grout staining and remove grout residue easily by pre-sealing porous stone or tile before grouting.
- Use clean water & a grout sponge, changing water frequently. Minimal clean-up water should be used to ensure proper grout curing & maintain color uniformity.
* Keep these tips in mind for your next installation project. We have great advice available in-store. *